January 19, 2010

At The Head of My Bed

I love finding inspirational pictures such as these! This lady found an old fireplace mantel in an alleyway of someone's backyard, painted it white, and used it as a headboard! I think it really gives something substantially attractive to look at in this small room - a practical focal point instead of something cliche like a bright wall, wallpaper, or a large piece of abstract art.  Her room theme is French (très romantique) and it is the same look I am going for except mine will incorporate more modern and classic elements. 


I got a chance to briefly browse around Liberty, one of my favourite home furnishings store here in Vancouver (they have some lovely accessories), yesterday and saw the headboard I designed for my to be room except this one was shorter.  I'd imagine mine to be a bit more durable looking (fabric-wise) than the one at Liberty, though... and hopefully I can construct it for way less than a quarter of the retail price. Yikes! But it's an investment in my eyes! I am envisioning a to-the-ceiling headboard that is quilted in a creamy, plush, and luxurious ivory fabric and framed by a row of (possibly unpolished) silver studs around half an inch in diametre each and a mahogany stained wooden frame that has a simple crown molding trim on the outer edge. I love dreaming up these projects. Can't wait to go hunting for that fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment