January 30, 2010

Blueberry Banana Smoothie - Personal Recipe


I made THE best smoothie today. This is my concoction. I really like my other version, too (using fresh banana with a bit of green on it), but this is just better.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (I like to use the more sour, smaller blueberries and save the plump ones for eating unfrozen)
1 frozen banana. My dad showed me this. He froze a banana that  was going to go bad noone wanted to eat and then popped it into a microwave for 10 seconds to soften the peel and then cut the peel off with a knife.
1/4 cup flavoured yogurt - we bought a litre tub of Danone peach yogurt so I just poured a bit in. Usually I use the cup Danone in Vanilla 'cause noone eats the vanilla ones on its own.
1/2 cup milk

I use the Magic Bullet. That's pretty much all we use it for in this house.. for smoothies.. and my dad makes his version of protein shakes (yuck) in it, too. Honestly, I didn't measure anything, but the measurements above are approximately how much I put in. The good thing about smoothies is that you can't really mess it up 'cause if it's lacking something, you can always put more in and blend again. You gotta cut the banana into chunks so it fits and then blend up! It's perfectly thick (I like mine to be quite thick).

I believe that the order that you put the ingredients really helps in the blending. I put the blueberries first, then the yogurt.. but you gotta make sure the yogurt doesn't cover all the blueberries - there should be a bit of a hole so that the milk can seep down. If not, the yogurt becomes a suction and if you're making a lot, there won't be any room for the banana because the milk is taking its spot. SPILL!  Oh, and you don't want to put the milk with the blueberries or it makes the blueberries clump together which also doesn't blend as quickly. So, after the blueberries, yogurt, and milk, you put in the banana. Lid on. BLEND for about a minute, shaking it in between! Great colour, too... and of course healthy + filling!

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. how random. dalton messaged today... saying he had a sudden urge to drink and make smoothies. he actually went to safeway to get ingredients =____='' so him and dims made some smoothies - varying mixtures of strawberries, bananas, peach yogurt, milk, vanilla flavoured soy milk :S, maple walnut ice cream :S:S, and green tea :S (actually u could barely taste it) ... it was strange. then we all did some p90x lol

    ReplyDelete