April 9, 2010

Packaging Pack Rat at Heart


If you ask who is more persuaded to buy things because of their nice packaging, I will raise my hand.  Sometimes, I have to lecture myself to actually take the item out of the packaging!  That's why, when I found The Dieline, a package design company, I couldn't stop browsing through all the pages!  I love innovative stuff that potentially sell me junk (ie. packaging). I confess, I used to keep nice tags from my clothing and post them on my bulletin board (when I was in my early teens) and I used to keep nice boxes and fill them with junk just so I could have a reason for keeping them.  I also used to judge books by their cover.  You, yea you -- the one reading, are a package lover.  How many times have we saved those good quality bags from Holts, Abercrombie, or Gilly Hicks? I've narrowed my collection to only one of each, but I had a semi-nice collection going on... of course, not half as impressive as some of you out there ;)


Anyway, back to Dieline. I like how you can rate each design out of five stars. Some of them.. don't know what they were thinking!


Like this: Karl Lagerfeld Light Cola?!
And this doesn't really look like Jamie Oliver.. his face has thinned out and his expression is weird. He also should have worn a different shirt.
This looks interesting. Wonder if it's a filter. 321 Water
Can you tell this was designed for carpenters? A carpenter's fragrance. Let me guess, it has wood notes in it! hahaha I hope it's relatively inexpensive. Doesn't look like you get much there.

Aww I would reach for these in the cereal aisle if I were a kid!
Classy bottle of Gin!
haha cute. Green Marker
LOL, LOL and LOL It's called "Typo Tofu". You see why? And ew.
"Dear Tofu:
Words fail me to tell you how boring you were and that I never thought of you when I was cooking. But now that you have letters to answer me, I feel the dawn of a relationship and already I find you are more friendly."
OOooo I dooo like this Beyaz Firin Macaron box!
Or maybe... I just want the macarons in them... mmmm macaron donut.
Unfortunately, packaging adds up to be a pretty large detriment to the environment.  I cannot stand Costco's mp3 player and coupon packaging. They're usually either huge boxes of nothingness or masses of plastic. 
I'm definitely not going to stop being a package lover. They've got me hooked. When I own my own place, I want to buy coffee table books with fantastic covers that scream "pick me up and read me!"

4 comments: