February 5, 2010

Buy Designer for Cheaper

I've been a member of Hautelook, Gilt Groupe, and RueLaLa for so long and get e-mails from them daily, but I've never bothered to actually click and sign in.  These sites host private, limited-time sale events for the current top luxury brands and designers for women, men, kids, and sometimes for the house.. at up to 70% off!  I think I was initially deterred from browsing because the first time I checked them out, they happened to have the BIG fashion designers (they usually don't have) like Chanel or something.. which, even at discount, was planets away from my puny student budget.
Anyway, they are "exclusive" in that you need to become a member in order to join.. and I think before, to become a member, you had to have been sent an invitation from someone else.. but now, you can just sign up. If you refer someone and that someone buys something, you will get $10/$25 credit! So ever since last Wednesday when Hautelook sold Revitalash, this eyelash serum popular among beauty bloggers that I've always wanted to try, I snatched one up (I say snatched 'cause for some hot items, they get sold out real fast and I didn't know if it would be or not!) and have been quickly browsing the sites since! I wasn't smart enough to get 2 accounts or have my friend sign up and use her account so that I would get $10 for my next purchase, but I'm happy I got Revitalash for half off! They've been getting in some great designers recently.
So basically, once you add something to your cart, you have 15 minutes to add whatever else you want and purchase by credit card/Paypal and in the meantime, they "hold" that item for you. Once your 15 minutes is up, your items are released back into the system for another buyer. Really simple. They send you e-mails to tell you upcoming brands, etc.. and the sales last approximately 60 hours.. depending... and almost always start at 8AM... but I find that when I get to it (around 10:30AM), 5 or 6 items are usually sold out. 
Sometimes they will have surprise free shipping days. The shipping cost is a bugger, though... It's $10 (to Canada, anyway) plus 4% of the cost of the item for "international fees" (whatever that is)... oh well, still cheaper than buying it up here! Oh, and different sites sell different things, of course. My favourite layout, asthetically, is Gilt Groupe's. Very sleek and it makes me want to stay on there for hours whereas RueLaLa's is more kid-like, and Hautelook's is simple and clean. More recently, I noticed Gilt Groupe and RueLaLa sell hotel room rates at boutique hotels all across the world! I particularly love how Gilt Group's Jetsetters page has really hotel-alluring pictures.
Check them out...
I love those floor candle lanterns! I'd love them to line the walkway of my backyard...

No comments:

Post a Comment